There are many ways you can honour a loved one: you may choose to install a plaque on a favourite garden seat or sponsor the care of a zoo animal in remembrance.
At Hunter Writers’ Centre, we would like to give you the opportunity to provide an In Memoriam prize in the Grieve Writing Competition. Your donated prize will be awarded to a poem or story submitted in the 2022 Grieve Project and will stand as a memorial to your loved one or colleague. Prizes start from $100.
If your family member or colleague loved writing, reading, worked in the arts or health, this can be the perfect way to honour them. If you are interested, complete the form below.
Here’s how it works: Our judges select, or you can select, a poem or story to be awarded your prize. This piece is then published in honour of your loved one or colleague. Here is a fictitious example showing the way we will publish your In Memoriam:
by Jo Smith
Winner of the Emily Bronte Award. Emily Bronte loved poetry, was an avid reader and a lover of nature.
Donated by her sister Charlotte
In this way you are remembering someone important to you and you are supporting Australian literature.
Each year we are thrilled to see new and emerging writers published in the anthology alongside established writers of Australia.
Remember a beautiful life through the Grieve project and awarding quality literature in their name.
- You may choose to provide prize money for writing about a specific topic, for example, dementia or suicide awareness or the death of a child.
- Our Grieve judging team can select the piece to win your donated award or you can make the selection.
- You can choose to donate a prize for one year or for a few years.
- You can donate a $100, $200 or $500 prize or more.
- You will receive a copy of the anthology that includes the work that wins your prize.
- If agreed by both parties, we can connect both prize winning author and donor.
Email email@example.com the following details:
- Your name and contact details.
- The name of the person in whose honour you wish to donate the award. A sentence or two about them.
- Amount of the award / any specific details – for poetry? for prose? for a specific topic? or none of these.
- If you would like to make the final choice from a short list selected by our judges / want the judges to select your prize winner.
- Attach a photo if you wish