Terms and Conditions
By entering a piece in the Newcastle Short Story Award, you agree to be bound by the following:
- Entries close 8pm AEDT, Wednesday 14th April, 2021
- The word limit is 2000 maximum. This includes titles and any sub-headings. There is no minimum.
- You do not have to be a member of Hunter Writers Centre to enter the competition. Open to all Australians living here or abroad.
- Your story must not include your name or any identifying marks. This means any word that the judges can link directly to you. Names of places and/or first names of people are, generally, acceptable. Be sure there are no words that identify you as the author.
- Entry is online only. We accept .pdf or Word document (.doc)
- Entries must be the original work of the applicant and must not be published in any form or currently offered for publication.
- You can enter under a psuedonym. An optional field is provided on the entry form.
- Entrants are welcome to submit more than one story. There is no limit to your number of entries. A separate entry form and separate entry fee of $16.50 (incl. GST) must accompany each entry.
- You must acknowledge any quotes from other writers that you use.
- Entrants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents. You can reside anywhere in the world.
- Staff of Hunter Writers Centre and their family members are not eligible to enter.
- Entrants must be aged over 18 years.
- The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with either the judges, the staff or the board of the Hunter Writers Centre.
- If you have entered and are not sure your work has been received check a) that the fees have gone through and b) that you have received the confirmation emails. Important: the confirmation emails can take a few hours to be sent to you. Check your junk mail if not in your Inbox.
- By entering the Newcastle Short Story Award, the author gives permission to Hunter Writers Centre to publish his/her work in the anthology if selected by the judges. The copyright to the work is always retained by the author. As publisher of the anthology, Hunter Writers Centre will have First Publication Rights to all submitted works and may use any title or phrase from any entry for the purpose of promoting the competition and the anthology. Any collection or publication subsequent to the Newcastle Short Story Award that includes the author’s story should acknowledge this competition.
- All prizes are cash prizes except voucher awards. Westfield Kotara offer 3rd prize in the form of a voucher to the value of the prize. The winner may spend the voucher in store or online. Any applicable postage charges on products ordered online form part of the 3rd prize Westfield voucher.
- Prize winners may be required to participate in media-related events associated with the competition.
- By supplying your contact details you agree to us sending you opt-out correspondence.
- Once the competition closes, all submissions and payments will be crosschecked. We will only contact you if your payment was not successful or piece did not upload.
- The finalists to be published in the anthology will be announced on this website and across our social media channels.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many times can I enter? As many as you wish. One entry = one payment. How do I know my entry has been successful? You will receive a confirmation email. If not received, please 1. check your junk mail and 2. Please be patient. Entrants report they have received the confirmation within minutes, others report it may take a few hours. What forms of payment do you accept? We accept BOTH credit card and Paypal. We do not accept direct deposit payments. Can I use a pseudonym instead of my real name? Yes you can but you will be asked to also supply your real name on the entry form – this will never be revealed to third parties. Is there an exact style and format you require? We only accept .doc, .docx, .pdf file format. Font size and style is your choice. Can I submit a piece I have submitted in the past? If you have a piece of writing that has been published previously - no. If it has been written and submitted but not published - yes. If it has won an award but not published - yes. What does 'published' mean? This means any form of publication – printed or online including blog entries, writing groups, within social media groups etc. Are titles, sub-titles, dedications and other 'extras' included in the word count? Yes! Stick to the word limit to avoid being disqualified. If my name appears on my work or in my filename is it disqualified? Yes. The most common mistake entrants make is putting their name on the work or in the filename. Other tips: Check spelling mistakes – have a friend read it to check your spelling. What if the piece is written for a child to read? The history of the project is that we publish works written for adult readers. What age can enter this competition? Over 18s Can I include illustrations/drawings/photos in my work? No.